Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 45 minutes | Serves: 4
Served with a quick pan sauce, this elegant lamb main dish is perfect for special occasions.
- 1 SunGold Boneless Lamb Sirloin Roast (about 1 1/4 lb/600 g)
- 1/2 oz (15 g) dried mushroom blend
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) black peppercorns
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry red wine
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sodium-reduced beef broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, cubed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh chives
Preparation & Directions:
- Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C). In spice grinder; pulse dried mushrooms and black peppercorns until finely ground. Alternatively, crush with mortar and pestle; stir in salt.
- Pat lamb dry with paper towel; rub with spice mixture.
- Heat oil in large skillet set over medium-high heat; cook lamb, turning occasionally, for 4 to 6 minutes or until browned all over.
- Transfer to roasting pan; reserve skillet.
- Roast lamb for 30 to 35 minutes for medium-rare or until instant-read thermometer inserted into centre of meat registers internal temperature of 145°F (63°C), or cook to desired doneness.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat reserved skillet over medium heat; cook shallot, garlic and thyme for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add tomato paste; cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in red wine, scraping bottom of pan to incorporate pan drippings.
- Bring to boil; cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until sauce is reduced to about 1/2 cup (125 mL).
- Add broth and any drippings from roasting pan; bring to simmer and cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until thickened to light syrupy consistency.
- Remove from heat and swirl in cubed butter until melted; stir in chives.
- Slice lamb and serve with pan sauce.
- For medium doneness, cook lamb to internal temperature of 160°F (71°C) and 165°F (74°C) for medium-well.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and fresh steamed peas or sautéed zucchini.
Nutrition Facts (Per 1/4 recipe)
- Calories 400
- Fat 28g
- Cholesterol 110mg
- Sodium 810mg
- Carbohydrate 6g
- Fibre 1g
- Sugars 2g
- Protein 31g